Sermon Link: All In Session Three
Family Scripture Reading: 2 Samuel 24
Summary: Our church is in the middle of our All In campaign and church-wide we are teaching through four weeks of the importance of buildings and how God has used the buildings his people built to bring glory to himself and do great things. This week we looked in 2 Samuel 24 and the moment that David is going to make a sacrifice to God and an offer is made to provide the sacrifice. However, David knows that when you sacrifice of your own self and it cost you something that you experience growth. That spiritual growth is found in our ability to sacrifice for the sake of intimacy with God. As a church, we are regularly asking families to sacrifice to serve, but now we are asking that families sacrifice financially so we can grow and reach more people. This is not just for ourselves but also an invitation to grow spiritually for our church. I encourage you to read the passage and talk about as a family what sacrifice looks like in your home and where you are or could sacrifice.
These are questions to ask your teenager that are deeper than, “How was Wednesday night?!” and they reply, “…good.”
- What do you think sacrifice is?
- What is something you’ve had to sacrifice because of your faith?
- What does it feel like when you sacrifice?
- When you sacrifice, are you doing it to draw near to God or just because you think you should?
- How do you think our family is sacrificing for Kingdom purposes?
These are things you can do for the message to stick.
- Make a list of just everything you feel like you couldn’t give up for God. Begin to pray over that list that God would loosen the chains on those things so if he calls you to give it up you’re ready.
- Look at your monthly budget as a family and pray about how you can sacrifice in a few places to make a new budget line item for giving.
- Look at your calendar and look at where you’re serving people. Where you spend your time is where your priorities are. Figure out one thing that can go so you can spend more time worshiping as a family, serving as a family, and leading as a family.
- Pray as a family about how you can contribute to All In, as we talk about the importance of our current building, our new one will provide much needed space to disciple the next generation and expand the Kingdom of God as our community grows.