Text Background: Ephesians
Sermon Link: Kindred Teaching Video
Family Scripture Reading: Ephesians 5:21-33
Summary: This week we started a new series called Kindred and we’ll spend four weeks in this series talking about the family. All of us are a part of a family and so we want to understand what God intends for that family to look like. Not only are we all a part of a family, but many of our families don’t look the way that God intended for them to look, and so we’re going to scripture to see how God can restore those families. This week we talked about marriage and for a lot of teenagers that is the most distant thought, but the reality is they are seeing marriage being put on display everyday, and we want to point them to what God designed marriage to be and how it brings glory to him. This week talk with your student about Ephesians 5 and if you’re married how your marriage does or does not model that.
These are questions to ask your teenager that are deeper than, “How was your Wednesday night?!” and them reply, “…good.”
- What do you think about marriage?
- What do you think marriage is supposed to look like? What’s the point?
- How is marriage supposed to glorify God?
- Do you think your parents are a good or bad example of this? How can we set a better example for you?
- What kind of spouse do you want to be one day?
- How are you becoming that and treating people that way now?
- How does marriage reflect our relationship with God?
These are things you can do for the message to stick.
- Watch an age appropriate movie or television show this week. Talk with your student about the couples in that show and what their relationship communicates about marriage and what that marriage communicates about God. Talk about it being a bad or good representation of both God and marriage.
- Join a small group and bring your teenager to Sunday morning small groups. A community to learn in and invest in holds us accountable to be obedient. It’s very difficult to run from God and simultaneously be surrounded by His people.