Text Background: 1 Samuel
Sermon Link: Rise Above Teaching Video
Family Scripture Reading: 1 Samuel 13
Summary: This week we started our new series titled Rise Above where we’ll spend four weeks talking about how to rise above the low expectations of culture and apathetic Christianity. We’ve come off a great weekend in CityWide and many of our students say they’re struggling connecting with God. We want to rise above that struggle. In the first week we talk about Saul’s disobedience to God and how it is impossible to connect with God when we are disobedient, and that’s just one of the many consequences of disobedience.
These are questions to ask your teenager that are deeper than, “How was your Wednesday night?!” and them reply, “…good.”
- What is a consequence?
- Can consequences be good and bad?
- What does it mean to obedient?
- Why should we obedient?
- What are the consequences of being obedient or disobedient?
These are things you can do for the message to stick.
- Talk through your house rules, why they are good for all parties involved, and what the consequences are if someone doesn’t follow those rules.
- Join a small group and bring your teenager to Sunday morning small groups. A community to learn in and invest in holds us accountable to be obedient. It’s very difficult to run from God and simultaneously be surrounded by His people.