Text Background: 2 Samuel
Sermon Link: Rise Above Teaching Video
Family Scripture Reading: 2 Samuel 7
Summary: This week we continued in our Rise Above series talking about David and his relationship with God. After becoming a war hero, bringing Israel together, and moving the Ark of the Covenant, David has been incredibly busy and finds time to rest. In that rest he decides he wants to honor God by building a place to house the Ark of the Covenant. David’s desire may be misplaced, but God still honors it because he sees the mind and the heart of David and that it is truly for the Lord.
These are questions to ask your teenager that are deeper than, “How was your Wednesday night?!” and them reply, “…good.”
- What does it mean to desire?
- What does it look like to desire God?
- Do we think God cares about our feelings and thoughts toward him?
- How can we grow in our desires for God?
- What should that desire lead us to?
These are things you can do for the message to stick.
- Somewhere in your house, as a family, write out the words that describe your thoughts and feelings toward God. This could be on a mirror, a window, your fridge or in a frame to remind you of your family’s desire for God.
- Join a small group and bring your teenager to Sunday morning small groups. A community to learn in and invest in holds us accountable to be obedient. It’s very difficult to run from God and simultaneously be surrounded by His people.